Friday, December 7, 2012

quick update

Hello.  It's been way too long.  Sorry.  Sometimes life is busy and sometime life starts to feel normal and doesn't feel like there in anything to post.  I'll give a quick update and hopefully there is some value in what I write.
It has been two months since my last post.  A lot has happened in that two months.  Mikayla, Tiana and Marissa were in the school play.  The did a wonderful production of Kiss Me Kate.  Tiana was Kate, Mikayla was Bianca and Marissa was Gregory.  They were all amazing.  I was so proud of them.  We went both nights of the play and loved every minute of it.  I told Mikayla that I love watching them act just as much as I love watching the boys play football or basketball.  I think she was a bit surprised by this.  I really am proud of all our kids.

The kids have been very busy with soccer, marial arts, play rehearsal,  ballet, and school so almost every free moment has been filled.  This next half of the year we are doing less school activities so we can do more China activities.  I think the kids are looking forward to a bit of a break as well.

Alauna and I went to a formal Charity Ball.  It was so much fun.  She got a beautiful dress made and I got a tux made.  It was a ton of fun to get dressed up, go have a nice meal and have a great time with friends.  We also won three nights at local hotels so that will be fun as well.  I'll post pictures in a separate entry.

Before moving to China I told the family that living in China would be one of the hardest things we have ever done and one of the most rewarding things we have ever done.  Both of these statements have proven true so far.  There have been some very difficult and some very positive things happen since we have lived here.  I have felt emotions that I have never felt before and didn't even know I had.  Through it all I have always tried find the positive. Life is good though.  China is good.  America is good.  Can't wait to head home for Christmas.

When we head to the US I think it will be a 24 hour event every day.  The kids have so much they want to do that in order to do it all I don't think we can sleep.  They have a long list of food they want to eat. They have a long list of people they want to see.  They have a long list of places they want to go.  I just hope that they find a bed at someone's house every night.  I just realized they don't have US cell phones anymore.  I guess we'll need to head to Best Buy Mobile and pick up a few prepaid phones to use while we are there so we can keep track of where everyone is.

Christmas is very commercialized here in China.  Every mall has a huge Christmas tree.  The younger generation use Christmas as a time to give gifts but there is no meaning beyond gift giving.  We went to a mall last night to see the Christmas decorations and got peppermint hot chocolate at Starbucks.  It was a good night.  I missed seeing the live Nativity in Alpine.  That has been a family tradition for us for a few years and I always look forward to it.  If you are near Utah county during the first part of December you should find the live nativity and go.  It is such a great event and such a great spirit there.

Last night was was trying to get a cab and this guy in a little van pulls up and asks where I wanted to go.  I needed to stop by one more store and then go to the mall to meet up with the family.  He said he would take me.  So I jump in and we start driving.  As we were driving all his fellow little van taxi drivers would yell at him "hey you got a foreigner.  Where you going?"  I would yell back and tell them where we were were going and they would laugh.  Then we got to the store and I asked him to wait.  He said to hurry but he would wait.  When I walked out of the store and saw him he had his hood opened and acted like he was working on the engine.  I just laughed.  He had the hood up because he was in a spot (in the lane of traffic) where he shouldn't be waiting. So if a cop approached him he could said he was fixing his van.  Pretty clever.  As I got in the van four other people jumped in as well.  They were going in a similar direction so he took all five of us.  Just a little van driver making a living.  Pretty funny.

Life in China is good.

Take Care.
Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment